Sunday, July 10, 2011

Baked Breakfast Goodies.



Okay bloggers. I know. I'm the worst ever. My last post was in June and it is now JULY (p.s how did that happen??). However, I have been extremely overwhelmed this summer with three summer classes, two jobs, and a Master's project. And moving. And cooking. And socializing. Man I'm busy. So forgive me, but I will be posting many more recipes once I can breathe in August.

For now, I've been in super breakfast mode. I never used to like breakfast. Lunch and Dinner usually include some type of pasta which I am all about, and it's more socially acceptable to have dessert after these meals. I can't really get away with eating a whole bag of M&Ms in the morning. But, apparently I've had a change of heart. These two recipes are healthy, relatively easy, and will leave you satisfied until Lunch (when you can sneak in some dessert).

Baked Tomato Cups

What ya need:
4 medium sized tomatoes on the vine

4 large eggs

1 tbsp butter

Freshly minced or dried tarragon

Salt and pepper

What ya do:
*Preheat oven to 375°F and slice off the tops of tomatoes. Carefully scoop out the pulp. Place tomatoes in a baking pan or casserole dish, whatever ya got.









*Crack an egg into each tomato cup. Add ¼ tablespoon butter, sprinkle with tarragon and season with salt and pepper.

*Bake for 25 to 30 minutes . Remove and serve immediately with toast, or a bagel, or fruit, or whatever your little heart desires ☺










Baked Oatmeal

What ya need:

2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup toasted almonds, chopped
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp fine-grain salt
2 cups milk
3 tbs unsalted butter, melted
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 ripe bananas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 blueberries or raspberries





What ya do:


*Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and butter the inside of an 8-inch baking dish.
*In a bowl, mix together the oats, half the almonds, the sugar, the baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
*In another bowl, whisk together the sugar, the milk, half of the butter, and the vanilla.

*Arrange the bananas in a single layer in the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle 2/3 of the berries over the top. Cover the fruit with the oat mixture. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the oats. Gently give the baking dish a couple of thwacks on the counter-top to make sure the milk moves through the oats. Scatter the remaining berries and remaining almonds across the top.

*Bake for 35-45 minutes, until top is browned. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes. Drizzle the remaining melted butter on top and serve. If you don't want to do that to limit your butter intake, I usually drizzle a bit of honey on top.

Enjoy your breakfast! It's the most important meal of the day (or so I was told by my beautiful nutritionist Mother). Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment