Friday, September 9, 2011

Oh you thought I was done with heirloom tomatoes? Wrong.



Hey there everyone :)

Busy busy week! Classes have started back up again and I will be starting my school-based practicum at Whitman Elementary School! Never been there but it sounds exciting, right? Anyways despite busy schedules, it's always important to keep on cookin'. For me, it's like therapy. Well...paired with a bottle of wine of course.

Now I always find that when things get busy, I have less time to plan meals and get groceries. So wanting to take a preemptive strike against mights of lean cuisines and take-out chinese, I've figured out a strategy that works for me. Maybe you will find it helpful too :) If not, kiss my b.

I like to choose two recipes in the beginning of the week to try. I attempt to ensure they share some similar ingredients, but if they don't that's ok too. Then I go grocery shopping the Sunday before the week begins. This way, I have at least two dinners planned. This leaves some room for leftovers, as well as experimenting with leftover ingredients! Also for a lean cuisine or two. Chinese I'll save for the weekend.

So with that in mind, I've had a pretty successful first week. I saved money by choosing simple recipes with ingredients in common, and did not stress over food! Yes..this is how deeply I care for food. It's sick. So, if you are having a difficult time planning meals around a busy schedule, give this idea a try.

To start you off, here is a DELICIOUS recipe that is really easy for a weeknight dinner. I actually have to give the cooking credit to Steve, because he made it for me one night when I had a lot of work to do. It's from a cookbook that I got him for Christmas two years ago...I thought how can I combine Steve's two greatest loves? So I got him the Sunday Night Football Cookbook. Yes that does exist.

Lemon Pepper Tilapia


What ya need:

2 TBL unsalted butter, softened

Grated zest and juice of 1/2 lemon

2 TBL chopped parsley

1/4 cup flour

Salt and pepper

2 tilapia filets

Lemon pepper (now easily one of my favorite spices to use, a STAPLE)

1 TBL olive oil

What ya do:

*In small bowl, combine butter, lemon juice, zest, and parsley.

*Spread flour on plate and season with salt and pepper. Season fish on both sides with lemon
pepper and dredge filets in flour mixture, shaking off excess. Heat oil in saute pan over medium heat and add fish.

*Cook until golden brown on the bottom, about three minutes, then turn and cook the other side. Add the butter mixture and cook until butter starts to brown at edges of the pan.

*Remove filets to serving plates and spoon butter and lemon sauce over them.

Steve served this with one of my favorite Summer appetizers. Heirloom tomatoes with basil, mozzarella, and balsamic. This is one of my favorite combinations. Just layer it up, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and serve it to the masses.


Happy eating :)

No comments:

Post a Comment