Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A fancy steak dinner



Hey my blog friends!

Much to my dismay, my boyfriend is a huge meat eater. Huge. So being the doting and lovely and humble girlfriend that I am, I made him a lovely steak dinner a couple weeks ago during a rough bout of exams. To even more of my dismay, he loves potatoes. In case you haven't heard about my disdain for potatoes, you can go back a few blogs ago and read an angry potato-related rant. In my personal opinion, the only saving grace about this meal was the carrots. However, the steak was tender and juicy, and the blue cheese butter is TO DIE FOR. Seriously. Put this on meat, put this on bread, pour it over some roasted veggies....whatever it is, you will keel over.

So since meats aren't really my thang, I had Steve make the steak. We took it out about 15 minutes before the rest of the dishes were completed and rubbed it down with some good old fashioned steak seasoning, and threw it on the grill.

Steak with Blue Cheese Butter

What ya need:

2 tablespoons softened butter

2 tablespoons softened blue cheese

1/4 teaspoon minced Italian parsley

freshly ground black pepper

What ya do:

*Fork together the butter, cheese, parsley and a good pinch of freshly ground black pepper.

*Place onto resting meats, or spread onto crusty bread.


-For the potatoes, I found a recipe for twice-baked potatoes with broccoli and cheddar. Now this may not be the healthiest, but feel free to just do broccoli or use low-fat sour cream (I did). I have always lovedddd my Mom's twice-baked potatoes and though these were not nearly as good, they got the job done. Also, I got the recipe from a blog done by a girl named Cate! Spelled the same!!! It's madness!!!! With exclamation points!!!

Twice-baked Potatoes with Broccoli and Cheddar


What ya need:

4 medium-sized baking potatoes


1 cup finely chopped broccoli florets


1/2 cup (loosely packed) shredded cheddar cheese


2-4 tbsp milk


1/2 tsp salt


What ya do:

*Heat the oven to 400 F.
Bake the potatoes for about 50 minutes, or until soft.


*Carefully slice each potato in half lengthwise, and scoop the potato flesh into a bowl, leaving the skins intact.
Put the skins on a baking sheet.


*Mash the flesh until smooth, and stir in the remaining ingredients. Add enough milk so that the mixture is soft and smooth.
Scoop the filling into the potato skins and bake for 15 to 20 minutes.


-My favorite dish of this meal (although the steak was seriously mind-blowing) was the carrots. These carrots I got from one of my favorite cookbooks, "Great Food Fast". These carrots are incredibly easy, sweet, and the best part is that you probably have all the ingredients to make them right now! Probably except for the carrots. I usually have baby carrots but never usually Mama carrots but maybe you do?

Glazed Carrots

What ya need:

9 carrots (1 1/2 pounds) quartered and cut into 2-inch lengths

1 TBL sugar

1 TBL butter

1/2 tsp coarse salt and fresh ground pepper

What ya do:

*In a skillet, bring carrots, sugar, butter, salt, and 1/2 cup water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer partly covered for 6 minutes.

*Cook uncovered, over high heat, tossing often until tender, 3-4 minutes. Season with pepper.

1 comment: