Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Something good and something bad: Part II



Hey there bloggers! Thought I would leave you a little goodie for the midst of finals..if you are in the midst of finals like I am. It stinks. Nothing better for procrastination than a tasty meal (or blogging about tasty meals...wonder how my final will go tomorrow morning). Now, here is a little dish for all of the vegetarians out there. I know I probably don't give you guys enough recipes, but here we go :) This dish was so easy, and so flavorful! It was my first attempt at tempeh since I'm not a big fan of tofu, and let me tell you...success. Also, original.








Lemon Pepper Tempeh

What ya need:

1 cup tri-color pearl couscous

1 cup cherry tomatoes

1 cup sundried tomatoes

1 package frozen brussel sprouts

4-6 strips of lemon pepper tempeh

What ya do:

*First make the couscous. You can simply follow the directions on the package, but it usually calls for 1 1/4 cup water, 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp butter. The salt and butter are optional, I just used the salt. You make couscous similarly to the way you make pasta. Just boil the water, and then cook the couscous for about 10 minutes.


*While the couscous is cooking, throw a little olive oil or non-fat cooking spray in a sautee pan for the veggies and tempeh. Once heated, lay the strips of tempeh in the pan with the cherry tomatoes and sundried tomatoes. Feel free to spice it up with a little garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Sautee for about 10 minutes, or until tempeh has browned a bit.

*When the veggies and couscous are almost done, throw the frozen brussel sprouts in the microwave. I know, I know. Frozen? Really Cate? But sometimes you don't have time to go all out. Cheating is ok sometimes.

*Toss everything together and enjoy! It's flavorful, colorful, and pretty darn healthy.



-And now, to continue this two part series with something bad. We had presentations for one of my classes, and we all decided to bring in delicious snacks and treats to cushion the blow of 3 hours worth of tutoring talk. These suckas are a recipe of my Mom's neighbor, and are SO ADDICTIVE. Seriously. Maybe I just have portion control issues..you decide. Also there are only a few ingredients, so if you are poor like me it works :)

Scottie Bars

What ya need:

1 cup peanut butter

1 cup light corn syrup

6 cups rice krispies

1 cup chocolate chips

1 cup butterscotch chips

What ya do:

*Heat gently the peanut butter and corn syrup.

*Add 6 cups rice krispies and pat into greased 13x9 inch pan.

*Microwave/heat 1 cup chocolate and butterscotch morsels.

*Spread on top and chill.


-SO AMAZING. Indulge after your delicious vegetarian meal. Or have seven in one week like me. Oops. Why am I not 500 pounds?

Happy eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment