Monday, March 21, 2011

A Bit of Spice.



Hey everyone! I thought I'd leave you with a little recipe before I jet off to Miami for spring break! Hopefully I'll have some good restaurant details and pictures when I come back.

Since I've been on this "health kick", I thought I would try this Chicken Curry dish I've been dying to test out, while dreaming of desserts in all of my spare time.

I had my sous chef Steve help me out. This dish is super cheap, easy to make and a healthy alternative. If you want some more flavor, you can choose different curry flavors. I just picked up your regular old curry powder at the grocery store...it was very mild, which is good because I'm a baby when it comes to spice. However, feel free to pick up something with more of a kick!

Chicken Curry


What ya need:
2 TBL flour
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
3 TBL olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped (I just chopped mine into slices, but feel free to change it up!)
2 garlic cloves (I always add an extra one...I'm a huge fan of garlic, just check my breath.)
2 tsp medium to hot curry powder
Coarse salt
1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes (zesty flavored), with juices.
3/4 lb small red potaoes

*RANT* As some of you may know, I have a huge grudge against potatoes. They are a lot of work, with little natural flavor, and there are so many other starches that would fulfill my balanced meal. As I am Irish, this may sound strange...but I really hate potatoes. Now, I try to make it a point to try new things and broaden my horizons blah blah. But it takes a lot of convincing. If this ever happens to you, try making a dish you don't really care for in a new and different way. I love sweet potatoes, so awhile ago I made some sweet potato fries..boom solution. However, today was not one of those days, so I substituted green peppers for the potatoes :) Feel free to add any extra vegetables to this curry if you want...I could see eggplant tasting really good as well.


What ya do:

*Place flour on a plate, and dredge chicken in flour, shaking off excess. In a large skillet, heat the 1 TBL oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side (I cooked mine a little longer, because I didn't use potatoes and later in the recipe you have to add a lot of water to reduce). Transfer the chicken to a bowl and set aside.

*Heat the remaining 2 tsp oil in the same skillet and cook onion and garlic, stir frequently, until the onion is softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the curry powder and 3/4 tsp salt, cook for 1 minute more.

*Add the green peppers (or potatoes..ugh). Since I used peppers, I didn't add any water but if you are using potatoes you should add 1 cup of water, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover, and cook until the potatoes are just tender but still offer slight resistance when pierced with the tip of a paring knife, about 7 minutes. Since I used peppers, I just stirred in the tomatoes and 1/4 cup of water (if potatoes, just do this after they're cooked).

*Return the chicken to the skillet along with any accumulated juices in the bowl; simmer, covered, until the chicken is cooked (unless you cooked it already) 12-15 minutes. Serve hot, with desired accompaniments on the side. I served this with some brown rice. If you are a grad student, a nice grocery staple is the packaged rice that cooks in 90 seconds. It's relatively cheap, and easy to cook and serve with some chicken or a meat of your choice.

That's all folks! I'm off to Miami and warm weather. If you have spring break this week, enjoy it wherever you are. As always, happy cooking!


No comments:

Post a Comment