Thursday, May 30, 2013

Baked goods.

Hey there! I told you I would be better about posting. Let's see how long this lasts.

So I told you that I had one of my first true baking successes. About a month ago, it was my friend Alex's birthday. Months before, he was over our apartment, drinking Trader Joe's wine and eating a family dinner. As we were browsing through Food Network magazines, we came across an awesome issue that had birthday cakes for every month of the year. The first one I made was the maple walnut cake for Steve's birthday, which was only a minor failure. This was a black and white mocha cake. I agreed to make it for Alex's birthday without much of a thought. My, my this cake was a labor of love, but so much fun and it came out pretty beautifully.






I made all FOUR (that's right, four) cakes the night before, because I am notoriously known for being too impatient to frost my cakes before they've cooled.



The next morning, I made the frosting and the ganache. Holy moly. This cake was GOOD.


Making sure it didn't topple over proved very difficult. There were a few moments of panic, but all went well.


I was also very fearful when cutting the cake, but surprisingly that went okay too.  I mean, how could this four layer cake cut in one whole piece? And how were people supposed to eat it!?!?! Man this cake was anxiety inducing. Lucky the birthday gods were shining down on Alex, because I cut that cake like a friggin surgeon. I should probably stop bragging, but I do believe this might be my one successful baking experience EVER. Here is the link for the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/black-and-white-mocha-cake-recipe/index.html




I also made some pretty good cupcakes for my friend Josh's birthday...I didn't take any pictures but the link is here: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/06/peanut-butter-cupcakes-with-chocolate-cheesecake-frosting/. Peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate cheesecake frosting. How could those not be good? Wish me luck in all my future baking endeavors! For now I'll just stick to shoving Dove chocolates in my face every night.

Happy eating!





No comments:

Post a Comment